Definition of pteridology in English:
The study of ferns and related plants.
- His fields of interest include systematic botany, speciation, and pteridology.
- New Zealand pteridology is now at the point where purely taxonomic investigations are likely to give way gradually to the study of more complex biosystematic problems.
- Example sentences
- The pteridological flora in the Canary Islands is well known with regard to some islands, while specific studies about El Hierro are insufficient and rather vague regarding informations of discovery stations.
- Welcome to the second issue of Affinis Watch, the Newsletter of the British Pteridological Society project to map the distribution of the Dryopteris affinis complex in the British Isles.
Mid 19th century: from Greek pteris, pterid- 'fern' + -logy.
Definition of pteridology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.