Definition of pteropod in English:
A small mollusk with winglike extensions to its body that it uses for swimming.
- ● Orders Thecosomata (with shells) and Gymnosomata (lacking shells), class Gastropoda.
- The commonest macrofaunal elements of the Carriacou succession are benthic molluscs, pteropods, scleractinian corals and, particularly in the Grand Bay Formation, articulate brachiopods (Donovan and Harper, 1997, in press).
- The unusual relationship between the pelagic mollusc Clione antarctica, a pteropod, and its amphipod abductor has been described as ‘antagonistic symbiosis’.
- Initially, Walcott considered Matthevia to be a snail, either a pteropod or a new form of equivalent rank, although he made this assignment with reservation.
Definition of pteropod in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.