- An extinct warm-blooded flying reptile of the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods, with membranous wings supported by a greatly lengthened fourth finger, and probably covered with fur.
More example sentences
- Order Pterosauria, subdivision Archosauria: several families, including pterodactyls, pteranodons, etc.
- The genus Pteranodon includes several species of large pterosaurs from the Cretaceous period in North America.
- Over the head of Tyrannosaurus rex glides the skeleton of Pteranodon, a pterosaur or flying reptile.
- A pterosaur is a flying reptile from the Mesozoic period, the time of the dinosaurs.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Pterosauria (plural), from Greek pteron 'wing' + sauros 'lizard'.
More definitions of pterosaurDefinition of pterosaur in:
- The British & World English dictionary