Definition of pteroylglutamic acid in English:
Another term for folic acid.
- Folic acid, also known as folacin and pteroylglutamic acid, is one of the B-complex vitamins that interact with vitamin B12 for the synthesis of DNA, which is important for all cells in the body.
- The addition of vitamin B12 to the pyridine diet improved the growth of the rats, and the addition of either vitamin B12 or pteroylglutamic acid resulted in increased liver choline oxidase activity.
1940s: the initial element of pteroylglutamic is from Greek pteron 'wing', with reference to insect pigments.
- Example sentences
- Intestinal transport of pteroylglutamate and amethopterin, a folate antagonist, was further characterized in everted sacs of rat jejunum.
- Folate and folic acid are the preferred synonyms for pteroylglutamate and pteroylglutamic acid, respectively.
Definition of pteroylglutamic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia