- Each of a pair of projections from the sphenoid bone in the skull.More example sentences
- The sphenoidal sinus may be absent or small; it may be very large and extend into the basilar process of the occipital bone, the greater or lesser wings of the sphenoid, or the pterygoid processes.
- The pterygoid processes, one on either side, descend perpendicularly from the regions where the sphenoid body and alisphenoids unite.
- The left and right pterygoid processes project inferiorly from near the junction of each of the greater wings with the body of the sphenoid.
early 18th century: from modern Latin pterygoides (plural), from Greek pterux, pterug- 'wing'.
More definitions of pterygoid processDefinition of pterygoid process in:
- The British & World English dictionary