The period during which adolescents reach sexual maturity and become capable of reproduction.
- Now the gymnasts for instance have been shown to have delayed menarche and also delayed puberty.
- Some children grow slightly more slowly than others and reach puberty later than average.
- During puberty or nearing menopause, many women have irregular periods so no treatment is necessary.
adolescence, pubescence, sexual maturity, growing up;
youth, young adulthood, the/one's teenage years, the/one's teens, the awkward age
- Example sentences
- The glands remain immature until puberty, and it is the secretion of sebum that is associated with pubertal acne.
- Body image issues related to height, weight, pubertal stage, and scarring can contribute to reduced self esteem and negative self image, problems that may persist into adult life.
- Long-term treatment with these medications can also slow a child's growth and delay pubertal maturation.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.