The period during which adolescents reach sexual maturity and become capable of reproduction.
More example sentences
- Now the gymnasts for instance have been shown to have delayed menarche and also delayed puberty.
- Some children grow slightly more slowly than others and reach puberty later than average.
- During puberty or nearing menopause, many women have irregular periods so no treatment is necessary.
late Middle English: from Latin pubertas, from puber 'adult', related to pubes (see pubes).
- More example sentences
- The glands remain immature until puberty, and it is the secretion of sebum that is associated with pubertal acne.
- Body image issues related to height, weight, pubertal stage, and scarring can contribute to reduced self esteem and negative self image, problems that may persist into adult life.
- Long-term treatment with these medications can also slow a child's growth and delay pubertal maturation.