Definition of pubescent in English:
1Relating to or denoting a person at or approaching the age of puberty.
- They were pubescent boys who had reached puberty but had not yet grown beards.
- By the 1990s there were bras for every figure and circumstance, from pubescent teenagers to the elderly.
- It introduced a distinction between pre-pubescent and pubescent children, treating the latter as sexual children, and in so doing laid a foundation for the modern concept of adolescence.
2 Botany & Zoology Covered with short soft hair; downy.
- There is considerable variation in leaf morphology in V. riparia; in general leaves are glabrous to thinly pubescent with conspicuous tuft-form domatia in vein axils.
- Basal shoots simple, borne upright from the basal branches, to 10 cm long, densely pubescent with white trichomes.
- An ovule after strong maceration exhibits an inner cuticular envelope that extends upwards into the prominent micropyle and there is a rare relict of pubescent tapetum tissue at the base.
nounBack to top
A person at or approaching the age of puberty.
- There should be no more braying at our opponents in the House of Commons like pinstriped pubescents from a bygone age.
- Teen drinking has always been there, pubescents drinking the types of alcohol adults wouldn't dream of touching.
- The small audience is probably due to licensing laws as half of the audience was made up of baggy-trouser pubescents peering through the window in the desperate hope of catching a glimpse of their school mates in action.
Words that rhyme with pubescentacquiescent, adolescent, albescent, Besant, coalescent, confessant, convalescent, crescent, depressant, effervescent, erubescent, evanescent, excrescent, flavescent, fluorescent, immunosuppressant, incandescent, incessant, iridescent, juvenescent, lactescent, liquescent, luminescent, nigrescent, obsolescent, opalescent, pearlescent, phosphorescent, putrescent, quiescent, suppressant, tumescent, turgescent, virescent, viridescent
Definition of pubescent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan