Definition of public nuisance in English:
1An act, condition, or thing that is illegal because it interferes with the rights of the public generally.
- Thus the duty overlaps with occupiers liability, public nuisance and private nuisance.
- The other exception related to the old common law offence of public nuisance.
- The classic statement of the difference [between private and public nuisance] is that a public nuisance affects Her Majesty's subjects generally, whereas a private nuisance only affects particular individuals.
1.1 informal An obnoxious or dangerous person or group of people.
- Certainly car locking horn blasts and car horn alarms should be banned as obnoxious public nuisances.
- Now, cell phones are not a status symbol but a public nuisance.
- Get a job and find something to do other than being a public nuisance.
Definition of public nuisance in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.