- A North American plant that yields a pigment from which dye or medicinal products are obtained, especially formerly.
More example sentences
- Genus Lithospermum, family Boraginaceae: several species, including hoary puccoon (L. canescens)
- Plants here include prairie rose, nodding onion, gray-headed coneflower, butterfly weed, green milkweed, hoary puccoon, and even eastern prickly pear cactus.
- Walk through the prairie's first showing of pussytoes, puccoon, and bird's foot violets, walk through the tick-ridden grasses, walk through the wild phlox and unfurling ferns of maidenhair.
- My first visit was in early May, when the ground was covered with delicately beautiful sand love grass, punctuated by bright yellow clusters of hoary puccoon and golden Alexander.
early 17th century: from Virginia Algonquian poughkone.
More definitions of puccoonDefinition of puccoon in:
- The British & World English dictionary