(also puffer fish)
noun (plural same or pufferfishes)
- A stout-bodied marine or freshwater fish (family Tetraodontidae: several genera and many species) that typically has spiny skin and inflates itself like a balloon when threatened. It is sometimes used as food, but some parts are highly toxic.More example sentences
- We saw crabs, eels, batfish, unicornfish, pufferfish, boxfish, lionfish, squirrelfish, racoonfish, butterflyfish, parrotfish and angelfish, to name just a few.
- Having soon blown a film on these shoals and the occasional diversion of singletons like a moray eel, a porcupine pufferfish and a variety of grouper, I turn to the other reef life.
- Take a look inside them - they are home to moray eels, shrimps, sleeping gobies and pufferfish.
More definitions of pufferfishDefinition of pufferfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary