Definition of puggaree in English:
1An Indian turban.
- ‘This,’ she said, proffering Mr. Dobbs' steamed fedora with its saffron puggaree, as if it were a fresh pie.
- I cannot tell you upon what impulse I acted, but lifting my rifle I brought it down till it was trained just short of the rim of his white puggaree, and fired.
1.1A thin muslin scarf tied around a sun helmet so as to hang down over the wearer’s neck and shield it from the sun.
- Originally made of pith with small peaks at the front and back, the helmet was covered by white cloth, often with a cloth band (or puggaree) around it, and small holes for ventilation.
- This ceremonial cork helmet, with puggaree, may have been for the South African Police Mounted Unit - or perhaps the Govenor-Generals mounted escort.
from Hindi pagṛī 'turban'.
Definition of puggaree in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia