(also pontil /ˈpäntil/)
noun (plural punties)
- (In glassmaking) an iron rod used to hold or shape soft glass.More example sentences
- After the glass has been shaped, the glass object is broken off from the pontil iron, leaving a scar to the object's base.
- If free blown, the bulbous glass is attached to a metal rod, called a pontil, for further shaping after reheating in the furnace.
- It worked on the same principle, but the molten glass on the end of the pontil iron was impressed with a crisscross pattern, using the glassmaker's pincers.
mid 17th century: from French pontil (see pontil).
More definitions of puntyDefinition of punty in:
- The British & World English dictionary