Definition of pupa in English:
noun (plural pupae /-ˌpē, -ˌpī/)
An insect in its inactive immature form between larva and adult, e.g., a chrysalis.
- These snakes feed on smaller prey - the larvae, pupae, and adults of ants and termites - and they do so remarkably fast.
- In most species for which detailed dietary information is available, ant larvae and pupae represent the most important food resource.
- The house fly has complete metamorphosis: egg, larvae, pupae and adult.
- Example sentences
- Prior to pupal emergence, brood combs were placed in an incubator and newly emerged workers were paint-marked on the thorax.
- Emerged adult Axarus and shed pupal exuviae were removed from the trap daily.
- The type of pupation site selected by larvae also affects pupal survival of D. melanogaster.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan