(Of a larva) become a pupa.
- Next spring, the larvae pupate and emerge in late May or early June as beetles that live 2 to 4 weeks.
- After the third week all mines were left covered until the larvae pupated, at which time the leaves were picked and placed in corked glass tubes, and reared in an outside insectary.
- Last-instar larvae pupated on the branches of the trees.
- Example sentences
- Development time includes the period of larval growth from hatching to pupation.
- In addition, developmental times to pupation and adult eclosion, pupal weights, and survival/mortality were measured for all insects.
- All frizzled individuals were male and died either during pupation, adult emergence, or soon thereafter.
Words that rhyme with pupateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, cremate, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, downstate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gestate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, hydrate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, irate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mistranslate, mutate, narrate, negate, notate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prate, prorate, prostrate, pulsate, quadrate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spate, spectate, spruit, stagnate, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of pupate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.