Definition of pupfish in English:
noun (plural same or pupfishes)
A small fish found in fresh or brackish water in the deserts of the southwestern US and northern Mexico.
- Genus Cyprinodon, family Cyprinodontidae: several species, some of which are confined to single pools
- Most radically, we have extended protection to every endangered species, even the lowliest and most unprepossessing-the Furbish lousewort, the snail darter, the desert pupfish, the spotted owl.
- The small springs that harbor small populations of native pupfishes and other small fishes.
- In southern Arizona, an endangered fish, the Quitobaquito pupfish (Cyprinodon macularius eremus), inhabits the springs, stream, and pond at Quitobaquito on Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.
Definition of pupfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.