Definition of pupfish in English:
noun (plural same or pupfishes)
A small fish found in fresh or brackish water in the deserts of the southwestern US and northern Mexico.
- Genus Cyprinodon, family Cyprinodontidae: several species, some of which are confined to single pools
- Most radically, we have extended protection to every endangered species, even the lowliest and most unprepossessing-the Furbish lousewort, the snail darter, the desert pupfish, the spotted owl.
- The small springs that harbor small populations of native pupfishes and other small fishes.
- In southern Arizona, an endangered fish, the Quitobaquito pupfish (Cyprinodon macularius eremus), inhabits the springs, stream, and pond at Quitobaquito on Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.
Definition of pupfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan