Definition of purse seine in English:
noun[usually as modifier]
A seine that can be drawn into the shape of a bag using the line along the bottom of the net like the drawstring of a purse.
- He is a strong advocate of sound fishery management, who authored legislation in 1997 that prevents the annual slaughter of thousands of dolphins during tuna purse seine fishing.
- It has been stolen from them by a mistake made by the Ministry of Fisheries when it allowed purse seine fishing to target kahawai.
- The law prevented fishermen from intentionally setting purse seine nets around dolphin pods in order to capture the tuna swimming in schools below them.
purse seiner noun
- Example sentences
- Japan, for example, is busy subsidising the decommissioning of large tuna boats, preventing old vessels being replaced. But the EU subsidises the replacement of purse-seiners.
- Although fishermen have used their knowledge of the tuna-dolphin relationship to catch tuna on hook-and-line for centuries, it is only since the debut of high-tech purse-seiners in 1959 that dolphins have been so abused.
- A total of 205 purse-seiners are allowed to operate at any one time in the area, but Taiwan has been getting around that by using bigger boats and reflagging some of its fleet to the Marshall Islands and Vanuatu.
Definition of purse seine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan