Definition of purslane in English:
Any of a number of small, typically fleshy-leaved plants that grow in damp habitats or waste places, in particular.
- ● Portulaca oleracea, a prostrate North American plant with tiny yellow flowers. ● Sesuvium maritimum ( sea-purslane), an edible plant that grows in damp sand along coastal shores.
- Vegetables rich in glutathione include asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, potatoes, tomatoes and purslane.
- Sprinkle with cracked pepper and garnish with purslane.
- The plant sources are flax seed, walnuts, and purslane, a succulent weed.
Late Middle English: from Old French porcelaine, probably from Latin porcil(l)aca, variant of portulaca, influenced by French porcelaine 'porcelain'.
Definition of purslane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.