1Provide or supply (food, drink, or other goods) as one’s business: shops purveying cooked food
More example sentences
- The dead man was one of many black Africans purveying goods outside normal shop hours and without work permits.
- Interestingly, most adware companies slough off criticism onto their affiliates when caught purveying their unwanted goods.
- The latter, in its legal and typical form, was a few stalls in a nearby town where peasant women purveyed food to urban-dwellers.
1.1Spread or promote (an idea, view, etc.): this magazine feels like a concerted effort to purvey gloom and doom
More example sentences
- Thus there is two-fold resistance to the dominant patterns of interpretation which have been purveyed by the mainstream churches.
- Wordsworth was complaining about modernity, not the media; the difference in how information is purveyed today is by degrees.
- His study of representative contemporary types in Irishmen all purveyed an inclusive notion of Irish nationhood.
Words that rhyme with purveyaffray, agley, aka, allay, Angers, A-OK, appellation contrôlée, array, assay, astray, au fait, auto-da-fé, away, aweigh, aye, bay, belay, betray, bey, Bombay, Bordet, boulevardier, bouquet, brae, bray, café au lait, Carné, cassoulet, Cathay, chassé, chevet, chez, chiné, clay, convey, Cray, crème brûlée, crudités, cuvée, cy-pres, day, decay, deejay, dégagé, distinguée, downplay, dray, Dufay, Dushanbe, eh, embay, engagé, essay, everyday, faraway, fay, fey, flay, fray, Frey, fromage frais, gainsay, Gaye, Genet, giclee, gilet, glissé, gray, grey, halfway, hay, heigh, hey, hooray, Hubei, Hué, hurray, inveigh, jay, jeunesse dorée, José, Kay, Kaye, Klee, Kray, Lae, lay, lei, Littré, Lough Neagh, lwei, Mae, maguey, Malay, Mallarmé, Mandalay, Marseilles, may, midday, midway, mislay, misplay, Monterrey, Na-Dene, nay, né, née, neigh, Ney, noway, obey, O'Dea, okay, olé, outlay, outplay, outstay, outweigh, oyez, part-way, pay, Pei, per se, pince-nez, play, portray, pray, prey, qua, Quai d'Orsay, Rae, rangé, ray, re, reflet, relevé, roman-à-clef, Santa Fé, say, sei, Shar Pei, shay, slay, sleigh, sley, spae, spay, Spey, splay, spray, stay, straightaway, straightway, strathspey, stray, Sui, survey, sway, Taipei, Tay, they, today, tokay, Torbay, Tournai, trait, tray, trey, two-way, ukiyo-e, underlay, way, waylay, Wei, weigh, wey, Whangarei, whey, yea
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.