1A small blister or pimple on the skin containing pus.
- Lesions consist of erythematous papules, nodules, pustules, verrucous, or granulomatous lesions.
- Two months later, the purulent discharge, pustules, and erythema had resolved, and the nodules had diminished in size.
- These pimples vary according to the severity of the acne and range from whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, nodules to cysts.
pimple, spot, bleb, boil, swelling, eruption, carbuncle, blister, abscess
informal whitehead, zit, blackhead
technical comedo, papule
1.1 Biology A small raised spot or rounded swelling, especially one on a plant resulting from fungal infection.
- As the name implies the rust pustules appear as distinct yellow-orange stripes on the leaves.
- Mature soybean rust pustules have a small round opening at the top for spore release.
- Some fields surveyed had orange leaf rust pustules on the lower leaves.
- Example sentences
- Neem soap has been going for years - especially popular with pustular teenagers on the subcontinent.
- Things get nasty as one by one the inhabitants of the house fall prey to the ever increasing hoard of pustular monstrosities.
- He looks back and down towards his enlarged, veined, pustular, phlebitic left leg.
Late Middle English: from Latin pustula.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.