- 1Offer or show (a particular degree of resistance, effort, or skill) in a fight or competitive situation: he put up a brave fightMore example sentences
- He's going to resist and resent and put a fight up.
- I would be surprised if much resistance is put up.
- We will back whatever resistance is put up by the administration.
- 2Stay temporarily in lodgings other than one’s own home: we put up at a hotel in the city centerMore example sentences
- We put up in a hotel full of flies.
- You cruise through Pensacola and put up in a motel in Marianna
- We put up in a little hotel, three or four of us in a bed, four or five of us on the floor.
More definitions of put upDefinition of put up in:
- The British & World English dictionary