noun (plural putamina /-ˈtamənə/ or putamens)Anatomy
- The outer part of the lentiform nucleus of the brain.More example sentences
- Immediately above the anterior perforated substance, the pear-shaped head of the caudate nucleus is confluent with the putamen of the lentiform nucleus.
- The term corpus striatum refers to the caudate, putamen, and globus pallidus.
- The irregular empty spaces between the putamen and the caudate nucleus were occupied by fiber bundles of the internal capsule.
late 19th century: from Latin, literally 'shell remaining after pruning'.
More definitions of putamenDefinition of putamen in:
- The British & World English dictionary