An X-ray technique for producing an image of the renal pelvis and urinary tract by the introduction of a radiopaque fluid. Also called urography.
- Intravenous pyelography has greater sensitivity and specificity for the detection of renal calculi.
- If necessary, intravenous pyelography, computed tomography or magnetic resonance imaging can add more information.
- Intravenous pyelography and percutaneous nephrogram are useful in imaging GUTB.
- Example sentences
- This dosage level can be achieved by using ‘one shot’ intravenous pyelograms and substituting MRI for CT scanning.
- An intravenous pyelogram and a computed tomographic scan revealed a large, solid mass with a central, non-enhancing area.
- An intravenous pyelogram was obtained and revealed a 5-cm radiolucent filling defect of the bladder.
Early 20th century: from Greek puelos 'trough, basin' + -graphy.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of pyelography in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.