Definition of pyrethrum in English:
1An aromatic plant of the daisy family, typically having feathery foliage and brightly colored flowers.
- Genus Tanacetum (formerly Chrysanthemum or Pyrethrum), family Compositae: several species, in particular T. coccineum, grown as an ornamental, and T. cinerariifolium, grown as a source of the insecticide pyrethrum
- Not all herbs smell good - catmint, curry plant, pyrethrum, rue, santolina and tansy are all pretty pongy.
- Some are derived from plants, such as pyrethrum and neem.
- When I looked closely I could see the truck had a PyGanic label with the iconic pyrethrum flower on the side.
1.1An insecticide made from the dried flowers of the pyrethrum plant.
- By the mid 1800s, the heads of chrysanthemum flowers were used to obtain pyrethrum, and rotenone was extracted from the derris plant.
- Pesticides that are approved for organic farming include copper, sulfur, petroleum distillates, and pyrethrum.
- Daisy plants were first used centuries ago as a lice remedy in the Middle East, and this led to the discovery of pyrethrum insecticides.
Words that rhyme with pyrethrummaelstrom • cerebrum
Definition of pyrethrum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.