Definition of pyrethrum in English:
1An aromatic plant of the daisy family, typically having feathery foliage and brightly colored flowers.
- Genus Tanacetum (formerly Chrysanthemum or Pyrethrum), family Compositae: several species, in particular T. coccineum, grown as an ornamental, and T. cinerariifolium, grown as a source of the insecticide pyrethrum
- Not all herbs smell good - catmint, curry plant, pyrethrum, rue, santolina and tansy are all pretty pongy.
- Some are derived from plants, such as pyrethrum and neem.
- When I looked closely I could see the truck had a PyGanic label with the iconic pyrethrum flower on the side.
1.1An insecticide made from the dried flowers of the pyrethrum plant.
- By the mid 1800s, the heads of chrysanthemum flowers were used to obtain pyrethrum, and rotenone was extracted from the derris plant.
- Pesticides that are approved for organic farming include copper, sulfur, petroleum distillates, and pyrethrum.
- Daisy plants were first used centuries ago as a lice remedy in the Middle East, and this led to the discovery of pyrethrum insecticides.
Definition of pyrethrum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia