- 1A four-sided plane figure, especially a square or rectangle.More example sentences
- You can make rectangles, octagons, septagons, or quadrangles… Or you can make ovals as we did.
- In contrast, triangles and quadrangles appear in the middle.
- This quadrangle is about to become a pentagram.
- 1.1A square or rectangular space or courtyard enclosed by buildings.More example sentences
- Exit at the west wing… it's the building across the quadrangle.
- Buildings around the quadrangle would be primarily for research.
- Johen waved a hand at the quadrangle of low buildings in front of them, set around a cobbled yard.
- 1.2The area shown on a standard topographic map sheet of the US Geological Survey.More example sentences
- Section 31 is divided on the Santaquin and Payson, Utah, 7.5-minute topographic quadrangles.
- Topographic quadrangle maps and county highway maps are helpful in finding sites.
- It is located in the Little Hickman USGS 75 quadrangle.
- More example sentences
- Instead of the customary quadrangular layout, the 15-mile course would be a seven-sided affair, each side about 2.7 miles long.
- On the other hand, the weak site has a quadrangular pyramidal structure with three peptide carbonyl groups and two water molecules.
- The former asylum opened in 1816 is a stately quadrangular building of stone with pillars of the Doric order.
late Middle English: from Old French, or from late Latin quadrangulum 'square', neuter of quadrangulus, from Latin 'four' + angulus 'corner, angle'.