Definition of quadrillion in English:
cardinal number (plural quadrillions or (with numeral or quantifying word) same)
1A thousand raised to the power of five (1015).
- The lesson continues this way up until the quadrillions.
- Others are known that are so very slightly unstable that their half-lives are trillions and quadrillions of years.
- Each of them had been coated with quadrillions of luminescent particles.
1.1 dated , chiefly British A septillion, that is, a thousand raised to the power of eight (1024).
late 17th century: from French, from million, by substitution of the prefix quadri- 'four' for the initial letters.
- Example sentences
- With the neutrons traveling much, much faster, I estimate about 28 percent of the material will go critical in that quadrillionth of a second.
- In addition, LCLS X-ray pulses will be extremely short - lasting only femtoseconds, mere quadrillionths of a second.
- A femtosecond is a millionth of a billionth (or one quadrillionth) of a second.
Pronunciation: /-ˈdrilyənT͟H/ordinal number
Definition of quadrillion in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan