cardinal number (plural quadrillions or (with numeral or quantifying word) same)
1A thousand raised to the power of five (1015).
- The lesson continues this way up until the quadrillions.
- Others are known that are so very slightly unstable that their half-lives are trillions and quadrillions of years.
- Each of them had been coated with quadrillions of luminescent particles.
- Example sentences
- With the neutrons traveling much, much faster, I estimate about 28 percent of the material will go critical in that quadrillionth of a second.
- In addition, LCLS X-ray pulses will be extremely short - lasting only femtoseconds, mere quadrillionths of a second.
- A femtosecond is a millionth of a billionth (or one quadrillionth) of a second.
Late 17th century: from French, from million, by substitution of the prefix quadri- 'four' for the initial letters.
Definition of quadrillion in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.