- A medieval university curriculum involving the “mathematical arts” of arithmetic, geometry, astronomy, and music. Compare with trivium.More example sentences
- He then progressed to the quadrivium, studying geometry, arithmetic, music and astronomy.
- And yet our curricula still reflect the priorities of the 1893 Committee of Ten, if not the shadows of the medieval trivium and quadrivium.
- The trivium and the quadrivium represented the available means of expression.
Latin, literally 'the place where four roads meet' (in late Latin 'the four branches of mathematics'), from quadri- 'four' + via 'road'.
More definitions of quadriviumDefinition of quadrivium in:
- The British & World English dictionary