- An extinct South African zebra that had a yellowish-brown coat with darker stripes, exterminated in 1883.
More example sentences
- Equus quagga, family Equidae; recent studies have shown that it was probably a variety of the common zebra
- The Cape Colony extended systematic protection to elephants, giraffes, hippopotami, buffalo, zebras, quaggas and antelopes in 1886.
- Farmers began developing more land, establishing wheat production and other crops in areas which traditionally were home to Cape mountain zebra and the extinct quagga.
- As an extinct animal, the quagga is well qualified to act as a tour guide for a paleontological museum.
Afrikaans, probably from Khoikhoi, imitative of its braying.
More definitions of quaggaDefinition of quagga in:
- The British & World English dictionary