Definition of quandong in English:
Either of two Australian trees.
- ● A small tree of the sandalwood family that has round red fruit with an edible pulp and kernel (Eucarya acuminata, family Santalaceae). ● (also blue quandong) A large tree of the subtropical rain forest that has blue berries (Elaeocarpus grandis, family Elaeocarpaceae).
- Says Jurgen: ‘Three plants in Central Australia, with an index of seven, are already under pressure because of camels: the quandong, the bean tree and the curly pod wattle.’
- The cassowary evolved amid the Wet Tropics, thriving on figs, quandongs, and other distinctive fruits.
- Colorful quandongs have a wide variety of edible uses.
mid 19th century: from Wiradhuri.
Definition of quandong in:
- British & World English dictionary