Definition of quandong in English:
Either of two Australian trees.
- ● A small tree of the sandalwood family that has round red fruit with an edible pulp and kernel (Eucarya acuminata, family Santalaceae). ● (also blue quandong) A large tree of the subtropical rain forest that has blue berries (Elaeocarpus grandis, family Elaeocarpaceae).
- Says Jurgen: ‘Three plants in Central Australia, with an index of seven, are already under pressure because of camels: the quandong, the bean tree and the curly pod wattle.’
- The cassowary evolved amid the Wet Tropics, thriving on figs, quandongs, and other distinctive fruits.
- Colorful quandongs have a wide variety of edible uses.
Mid 19th century: from Wiradhuri.
Definition of quandong in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan