Definition of quantize in English:
1 Physics Apply quantum theory to, especially form into quanta, in particular restrict the number of possible values of (a quantity) or states of (a system) so that certain variables can assume only certain discrete magnitudes.
- In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is quantized.
- The hydrogen atom was stable because the possible energy states of the electron in the atom are quantized by the rule
- Loop quantum gravity is a way to quantise space time while keeping what General Relativity taught us.
2 Electronics Approximate (a continuously varying signal) by one whose amplitude is restricted to a prescribed set of values.
- Truncating the embedded bitstream associated with any given code-block has the effect of quantizing the samples in that block more coarsely.
- To ensure noise measurements on digital carriers (PCM systems) are valid, a holding tone must be transmitted to operate the compander and quantizing circuitry in its normal operating range.
- The coefficients of these block approximations are then quantized and stored in the output file.
- Example sentences
- Under a process known as vector quantisation, tiny blocks of images are placed in the videophone as code and then assembled together by the software.
- The digital image is split into three colors (red, green, and blue [RGB]) with 8-bit quantization.
- They were disappointed that invoking space quantization failed to elucidate the vexing problem of the ‘anomalous’ Zeeman effect, the complex splitting patterns of spectral lines in a magnetic field.
- sense 2.Example sentences
- Additional comparator circuitry, quantizers, and encoding circuitry can be part of the same integrated circuit as the array.
- Through the development of special power-saving quantizers based on this new AD converter, talk times for cell phones can now be extended.
- A Josephson quantizer is driven by a sinusoidal microwave generator whose output is combined with a digital two-level code representing a desired waveform.
Definition of quantize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan