- Research into the atom's nucleus has uncovered a variety of subatomic particles, including quarks and gluons.
- This process results in two jets of hadronic particles as the quarks form hadrons.
- The scalar superpartners of quarks and electrons are called squarks and selectrons.
1960s: a word invented by Murray Gell-Mann (see Gell-Mann, Murray). Originally quork, the term was changed by association with the line “Three quarks for Muster Mark” in Joyce's Finnegans Wake (1939).
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
- Plain or flavored yogurt, quark, cottage cheese, beaten mascarpone or ricotta could be substituted for the fromage blanc.
- I've never tried quark skimmed milk soft cheese before; won't be trying it again in a hurry.
- In the morning, I eat oatmeal with egg whites and low-fat quark [a soft creamy cheese popular in Europe].
1930s: from German Quark 'curds'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.