nounMusic , chiefly North American
- A musical note having the time value of a quarter of a whole note or half a half note, represented by a large solid dot with a plain stem. Also called crotchet.More example sentences
- Students will first begin by identifying which color M&Ms represent which notes: an eighth note, a quarter note, a half note, and a whole note (the pretzels will be the stems).
- Early on, participants don't know a quarter note from a half note.
- At measure 27, forte is in the transcription, while fortepiano is indicated in the original score; in measure 34, the final measure of the piece, the flutists are performing a dotted quarter note, while the piano performs a quarter note.
More definitions of quarter noteDefinition of quarter note in:
- The British & World English dictionary