Definition of quartermaster in English:
1A military officer responsible for providing quarters, rations, clothing, and other supplies.
- During the Civil War Gilmer held a variety of staff positions, including quartermaster and adjutant general of the Hilliard Alabama Legion.
- The commissary, a commissioned officer, handled food procurement and, like the quartermaster, on many questions answered directly to his superiors in the national capital rather than to the army commander.
- Eight supporting staff - a contingent commander, adjutant, cook, quartermaster, and coach for each discipline - completed the team, and where possible these members also competed as shooters.
2A naval petty officer with particular responsibility for steering and signals.
- Typically, it's a boatswain's mate or a quartermaster running the ship, while an engineer and one or two seaman line handlers assist in the shipboard operations.
- While Darling and his shipmates were busy learning the ACD, the ship was steering course as usual, yet with the help of a new friend to the quartermaster.
- Steering was carried out from a position forward of this by a quartermaster manning the ship's wheel, which connected cables to the tiller flat below.
Words that rhyme with quartermastersubstrata
Definition of quartermaster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.