Definition of quartermaster in English:
1A military officer responsible for providing quarters, rations, clothing, and other supplies.
- During the Civil War Gilmer held a variety of staff positions, including quartermaster and adjutant general of the Hilliard Alabama Legion.
- The commissary, a commissioned officer, handled food procurement and, like the quartermaster, on many questions answered directly to his superiors in the national capital rather than to the army commander.
- Eight supporting staff - a contingent commander, adjutant, cook, quartermaster, and coach for each discipline - completed the team, and where possible these members also competed as shooters.
2A naval petty officer with particular responsibility for steering and signals.
- Typically, it's a boatswain's mate or a quartermaster running the ship, while an engineer and one or two seaman line handlers assist in the shipboard operations.
- While Darling and his shipmates were busy learning the ACD, the ship was steering course as usual, yet with the help of a new friend to the quartermaster.
- Steering was carried out from a position forward of this by a quartermaster manning the ship's wheel, which connected cables to the tiller flat below.
Words that rhyme with quartermastersubstrata
Definition of quartermaster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan