Definition of quasicrystal in English:
A locally regular aggregation of molecules resembling a crystal in certain properties (such as that of diffraction) but not having a consistent spatial periodicity.
- She was cited for ‘pioneering work on the surface structures, stabilities and other properties of metal films and quasicrystals, and elucidation of surface structure and chemistry of water on metals.’
- Previous work has suggested that Bloch-like waves - which describe electron motion in classic crystals - can occur in quasicrystals as well.
- The alloy forms metastable icosahedral quasicrystals, but Kelton was focusing instead on the alloy's stable crystalline phase, a complex polytetrahedral arrangement called C14 Laves.
- Example sentences
- The experimentalists created one new quasicrystalline phase after another, while the theoreticians developed mathematical systems for describing their symmetry in three dimensions.
- But because the liquid and quasicrystal phases have similar order - and hence a smaller - the quasicrystalline phase has the lower barrier and will solidify first.
- We designate this phase as a quasicrystalline phase, L q.
Definition of quasicrystal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.