Definition of quetzal in English:
1A bird of the trogon family, with iridescent green plumage and typically red underparts, found in the forests of tropical America.
- Genus Pharomachrus, family Trogonidae: five species, especially the resplendent quetzal (P. mocinno), the male of which has very long tail coverts and was venerated by the Aztecs
- Mexico is home to toucans, vultures, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, parrots, macaws, and quetzals.
- At Volcan Baru, the country's most visited national park and its highest elevation, catch a glimpse of the quetzal or toucan.
- Or I can try something cooler by immersing myself in the cloud-enshrouded virgin forest of Braulio Carillo National Park - a great place to observe bird-watchers delighting in the trogons and quetzals.
2The basic monetary unit of Guatemala, equal to 100 centavos.
- I am standing in line to exchange my dollars for quetzals; so is Angela.
- The Guatemalan unit of currency, the quetzal, is named for the Guatemalan national bird.
- He offered the teachers a 100 quetzal monthly bonus - a fraction of the teachers' demand for a doubling of their current wages.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan