Definition of quiescent in English:
In a state or period of inactivity or dormancy: strikes were headed by groups of workers who had previously been quiescent quiescent ulcerative colitis
More example sentences
- Her prior medical history was otherwise only remarkable for a quiescent ulcerative colitis.
- The tumor is usually benign and remains histologically quiescent for a long period of time.
- During fasting, or between meals, the gastrointestinal tract is not completely quiescent.
- Example sentences
- Asthma in childhood often has a much different clinical pattern than in adults, with long periods of quiescence punctuated by virally induced exacerbations that often diminish in frequency with time.
- Cells may exit the cell cycle at G 1 and enter a nonproliferative phase called G 0 or quiescence.
- The next four decades saw periods of resurgence and quiescence in Soviet anti-Semitism.
Mid 17th century: from Latin quiescent- 'being still', from the verb quiescere, from quies 'quiet'.
Words that rhyme with quiescentacquiescent, adolescent, albescent, Besant, coalescent, confessant, convalescent, crescent, depressant, effervescent, erubescent, evanescent, excrescent, flavescent, fluorescent, immunosuppressant, incandescent, incessant, iridescent, juvenescent, lactescent, liquescent, luminescent, nigrescent, obsolescent, opalescent, pearlescent, phosphorescent, pubescent, putrescent, suppressant, turgescent, virescent, viridescent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.