Definition of quillwort in English:
A plant related to the club mosses, having a dense rosette of long slender leaves, the bases of which contain the spore-producing organs, and occurring typically as a submerged aquatic.
- Genus Isoetes, family Isoetaceae, class Lycopsida
- Liverworts, hornworts, mosses, clubmosses, resurrection plants, quillworts, horsetails, ferns, cycads, ginkgos, conifers, and flowering plants are all plants.
- This extinct order of giant scale trees includes relatives of the modern quillworts (Isoetes).
- First described by Pfeiffer in 1937, and recircumscribed by Brunton et al., I. virginica is a tetraploid quillwort of intermittent woodland streams and low, wet wooded areas of the southeastern Mountains and Piedmont.
Definition of quillwort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan