Definition of quincunx in English:
noun (plural quincunxes)
1An arrangement of five objects with four at the corners of a square or rectangle and the fifth at its center, used for the five on dice or playing cards, and in planting trees.
- He goes in for rhomboids, quincunxes, and chess logic; even his ubiquitous infinities are of a linear, ‘Euclidean’ sort.
- People long ago produced fiendishly complicated analyses of visual forms: witness Nicholas of Cusa's tract on the all-seeing icon of Christ and Thomas Browne's labyrinthine meditation on the quincunx.
- Most Mesomerican peoples understood the cosmos itself to be four-sided or quincunx in configuration, being defined by the four cardinal directions and a fifth, the center.
2 Astrology An aspect of 150°, equivalent to five zodiacal signs.
- Saturn conjunct, Mars opposition and quincunx Pluto, all are powerful and aggressive controlling aspects.
- There are nine aspects in common use: the five major aspects - conjunction, opposition, trine, square and sextile - and four minor aspects - the semi-sextile, semi-square, sesquiquadrate and quincunx.
- Also known as the quincunx and denoted by the symbol, it is said to represent a harsh or tense relationship based upon incompatibility.
mid 17th century: from Latin, literally 'five twelfths', from quinque 'five' + uncia 'twelfth'.
Definition of quincunx in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan