- Any of a class of antibiotics used in treating a variety of mainly Gram-negative infections, and thought to be responsible for antibiotic resistance in some microbes.More example sentences
- Because of their extensive gram-negative coverage, quinolone antibiotics were initially used to treat urinary tract infections.
- The original quinolone antibiotics included nalidixic acid, cinoxacin and oxolinic acid (no longer available in the United States).
- Drugs that have been implicated include penicillin, aminopenicillins, sulfonamides, allopurinol, thiazides, quinolones, hydantoins, and propylthiouracil.
More definitions of quinoloneDefinition of quinolone in:
- The British & World English dictionary