Definition of raceway in English:
nounchiefly North American
1A track or channel along which something runs, in particular.
- The bolt has two holes that vent gases coming down the firing-pin channel into the left receiver raceway.
- The receiver was a round section of forged steel - easily turned on a lathe - bored for the bolt and locking lug raceways.
- The inner raceway is the one that the axle goes through.
1.1A water channel, especially an artificial one of running water in which fish are reared.
- The most probable cause is that birds swimming in the East Fork of the Carson River, which flows behind the hatchery, carried dirt or water into the fish raceways.
- For this study we used randomly caught fish from our raceways that originated primarily from two of these sites, Bylas Spring and Cienega Creek.
- The water feeds a series of raceways where the trout mature and several fishing lakes, as well as driving a hydro-electric power plant to supply all the park's electricity needs.
1.2A groove or race in which bearings run.
- The main advance of this design is the integration of the bearing raceway with the hub, which reduces unsprung weight and narrows the overall package width.
- In the shielded bearings, the metal shield does not touch the raceways. Raceways are the metal rings that the ball bearings are sandwiched between.
1.3A pipe or tubing enclosing electric wires.
- The project also includes rehabilitation of water intake screens, auxiliary mechanical equipment and electrical equipment, electrical cabling, electrical raceways, cable trays and control systems.
- This raceway in the Communications Building holds new ‘high-speed’ wiring that can handle communication speeds of 1,000 million bits per second.
- The structural elements that support the overall tabletop also act as raceways and interconnections for all our electrical work.
2.1A track for auto racing.
- Our goal is for the spectators to be entertained for four hours not only by the racing, but also by the raceway.
- There's three track styles, raceways, streets, and off road, so there's somewhat different driving styles.
- The silver Porsche zoomed around the corner of the local raceway, two helmeted racers inside.
Definition of raceway in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan