Definition of radiator in English:
1A thing that radiates or emits light, heat, or sound.
- It follows, then, that any radiation emitted by the cavity radiator corresponds to the definition of blackbody radiation.
- Examples of radar reflectors are solar panels and heat radiators.
- Uncoated glass is a good radiator, so heat radiates from the window and is lost.
1.1A device for heating a room consisting of a metal tank connected by pipes through which hot water is pumped by a central heating system.
- My property is a one bedroom flat with 5 radiators, gas central heating and a gas cooker.
- He made his money by inventing a pipe connector which allows radiators to be swivelled forward without being disconnected, making it easy to wallpaper behind them.
- A wood-fired boiler is an obvious match for a home with radiators or other hydronic systems (hot water moving through pipes).
1.2A portable heater resembling a radiator.
- Mrs Foster added that ever since the fire was condemned she has had to buy and use portable electric radiators.
- He went on to say that among the areas which had now become a dumping ground was at the back of Waterford Regional Hospital where someone had left radiators, other heaters and furniture.
- When you first see the F - 50, it's easy to believe you're looking at a portable radiator.
2An engine-cooling device in a motor vehicle or aircraft consisting of a bank of thin tubes in which circulating fluid is cooled by the surrounding air.
- The thin air also reduces the engine's power and decreases the cooling efficiency on the oil and water radiators that cool the engine.
- Water cooled engines include radiator, pump, thermostat, fan and connecting hoses and pipes.
- The radiator has tubes that contain large amount of water and has an area to allow outside air to pass through.
Definition of radiator in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan