Definition of radioactivity in English:
1The emission of ionizing radiation or particles caused by the spontaneous disintegration of atomic nuclei.
- Early studies of radioactivity revealed that certain atomic nuclei were naturally radioactive.
- They may also interact with nonmedical regulations, such as limits on electromagnetic emissions or radioactivity.
- What makes dirty bombs particularly troublesome is that radioactivity, like fire, is something we deal with on a daily basis.
1.1Radioactive substances, or the radiation emitted by these.
- Small amounts of radioactivity escaped into the atmosphere.
- The lack of safeguards is leaving thousands of children across central Scotland at risk of thyroid cancer following an escape of radioactivity.
- They are comparing sediment taken from the Humber estuary - unpolluted by radioactivity - with other samples which contain the substance.
Definition of radioactivity in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan