Definition of raffia in English:
1A palm tree native to tropical Africa and Madagascar, with a short trunk and leaves that may grow up to 60 feet (18 m) long.
- Raphia ruffia, family Palmae
- In addition, clothing and mats are popular wares, which are often made from the ubiquitous raffia palm tree.
- In addition, the raffia palms, of which there are various species in the African tropics and a few in S. America, yield oil.
1.1The fiber from the raffia leaves, used for making items such as hats, baskets, and mats.
- Traditional crafts have also had a long tradition of importance for items such as pottery, handwoven cloth, carved stools, raffia baskets, and gold jewelry.
- Three of us shared that space; half of the cell was taken up by the bed - a raised concrete platform with raffia mats.
- Brylee threw the role of raffia into the basket she was pushing, and the two continued walking.
Early 18th century: from Malagasy.
Words that rhyme with raffiaMafia, tafia
Definition of raffia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.