(also rainbow lory)
Definition of rainbow lorikeet in English:
A small, vividly colored Australasian parrot, found in many different races on southwestern Pacific islands.
- Trichoglossus haematodus, family Loridae (or Psittacidae)
- The bill ensures that the protective provisions of the Wildlife Act do not conflict with the use of the Biosecurity Act to control a wildlife organism that has since proved to have undesirable effects, as it did with the rainbow lorikeet.
- At the same time, some Australians are complaining about animal disruptions, such as the pungent smell of fruit bats or the loud noise made by rainbow lorikeets.
- Many a Queenslander has happy memories of childhood visits to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary with its noisy flocks of rainbow lorikeets.
Definition of rainbow lorikeet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan