Definition of rainbow trout in English:
A large trout native to the Pacific seaboard of North America. It has been widely introduced elsewhere, both as a farmed food fish and as a sporting fish. Most rainbow trout remain in streams, but some migrate to lakes and some to the sea (see steelhead).
- Salmo gairdneri, family Salmonidae
- I have even heard stories of captures of the migratory form of the rainbow trout, the steelhead, having been caught from rivers in the North West of England.
- Intensive aquaculture of rainbow trout and other salmonids is a relatively new innovation, compared to the cultivation of most other animals.
- Today's anglers fishing for rainbow trout carry several boxes of fly patterns, but only use a dozen flies.
Definition of rainbow trout in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.