adjective (rainier, rainiest)
- (Of weather, a period of time, or an area) having a great deal of rainfall: a rainy afternoonMore example sentences
- I'm in Houston and we got our first bit of cold, rainy winter weather this week.
- What better way to spend a rainy holiday summer afternoon in Salcombe or Lowestoft?
- The rainy weather definitely seems to have moved on as it is sunny this morning.
a rainy day
- Used in reference to a possible time in the future when something, especially money, will be needed: invest and save for a rainy dayMore example sentences
- Where it is expensive, consider saving that extra money to protect against a rainy day.
- ISAs are probably the best way for us to save money for a rainy day, build up a nest egg and save for the long term.
- We all know that we should have some money put away for a rainy day.