Definition of rajah in English:
1An Indian king or prince.
- As legend has it, an Indian rajah sent a gift of a chess set to a king of kings as a challenge for his wise men to solve. They did, and ever since sets have been exchanged as gifts between world leaders.
- The chauffeur, a Russian Czar from the period of Ivan the Terrible, was a fabulous guide who knew of all the kings and rajahs who had come to the area for several reasons, and brought the names of different towns and places to life.
- For that matter, history books that dwell on stories of rajas and maharajas who met at a tea break might be recalled.
1.1A title extended to petty dignitaries and nobles in India during the British Raj.
- In the forties the membership was spread among upper middle class officials and professionals, rajas and zamindars.
- The rajas were left untouched despite demands for independence, self-rule and decolonization elsewhere.
- ‘I can drive all the way to Chennai in my Ford jeep,’ the former raja says with a twinkle in his eye.
1.2A title extended by the British to a Malay or Javanese ruler or chief.
- But Africans and Asians did not restore their chiefs and rajas, or seek otherwise to return to a more authentic way of life.
- The Malay term for government, kerajaan, refers to the raja who ruled from the precolonial courts.
Definition of rajah in:
- British & World English dictionary