- The basic monetary unit of South Africa, equal to 100 cents.More example sentences
- When the bid failed the rand fell against the dollar and shares dropped by 0.7 percent.
- The South African currency lost more than a rand against the US dollar on Thursday alone.
- A surge in gold prices and a broadly weaker U.S. dollar had supported the rand's recent rally.
from the Rand, the name of a goldfield district near Johannesburg.
- A strip of leather placed under the back part of a shoe or boot to make it level before the lifts of the heel are attached.More example sentences
- They also sell custom versions of their shoes, to include an extended rand.
- It is a mesh pattern which should allow for some breathability, and I've been assured that resoling the rand doesn't affect the rubber.
- Their rand is softer, their fit is better, bar none.
Old English (denoting a border): of Germanic origin; related to Dutch rand and German Rand 'edge'. The current sense dates from the late 16th century.