Definition of raptorial in English:
1(Of a bird or other animal) predatory.
- Compared to most raptorial birds, saw-whet owls are a very small-bodied species with high mass-specific metabolic costs.
- No one would expect detailed management histories of otters, beavers, muskrats, raptorial birds, and yet the success story of the Yellowstone cutthroat trout is worth telling.
- Numerous explanations exist for the evolution of reversed size dimorphism in raptorial species.
1.1(Of a limb or other organ) adapted for seizing prey.
- Their lethal raptorial appendages provide effective weapons for acquiring and defending these homes.
- Note that the male in the image at right has much larger eyes and raptorial appendages.
- In addition, they have potent raptorial appendages, with which they produce extremely fast and powerful strikes.
Definition of raptorial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan