Definition of ratfish in English:
noun (plural same or ratfishes)
1A blunt-nosed chimaera with rodentlike front teeth and a long thin tail, found chiefly in cooler waters. See also rabbitfish.
- Genera Chimaera and Hydrolagus, family Chimaeridae: several species, including H. colliei of the eastern North Pacific
- Apparently living at great depths with the hagfish, the prehistoric ratfish was recently discovered off Brazil by scientists.
- The others catch sight of the ratfish at the same time as me, but it is not alone - there are five of these ‘monsters ‘in the cleft.’
- Hard to miss, especially by night divers, whose lights catch the gleam from its huge opalescent eyes, is the ratfish, which cruises by on wing-like pectoral fins.
Definition of ratfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.