- A series of small ropes fastened across a sailing ship’s shrouds like the rungs of a ladder, used for climbing the rigging.More example sentences
- The product of a seafaring family, Seal is at home among the rigging, the ratlines, the shrouds and spars of his leading lady.
- Pamela watched the men climbing the ratlines, standing on the yards, or in the footropes.
- In the fresh wind the vibration of the shrouds as fifty men ran up the ratlines could be distinctly heard.
late Middle English: of unknown origin.
More definitions of ratlinesDefinition of ratlines in:
- The British & World English dictionary